The iPad...

The forum for posting pictures of cats with subtitles and other internet inanities.

Re: The iPad...

Postby Feist on Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:47 pm

As to the keyboard - the concensus I've heard is that the onscreen keyboard is fine for filling out a login or dashing off a quick IM/Email reply - a sentence or two won't be a problem even though you're hunt and pecking, but god forbid you actually try to do word processing (or even write a post of the length I just wrote) on the thing, you'll go insane.

I think the ideal solution is going to be a good stand + Bluetooth KB.
Feist

Postby Feist on Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:55 pm

To address some of the other specific complaints about the iPad that don't make a large amount of sense to me:

No New Interface: um.... what? Apple has spent enormous amounts of money and engineering time developing the multi-touch UI paradigm found on the iPod and iPhone. They have put an enormous amount of effort, marketing, and retail strategy into not only developing an entire paradigm of human-device interaction, complete with the sort of gestural controls introduced in the touch OS, but then in training millions upon millions of users in how to use it. It works phenomenally. It's easily the best UI for a touch based device I've ever experienced, and the things other devices get right, are for the most part, things ripped off from Apple. (i.e. Copy and Paste took forever, but it's hard to argue that the copy and paste implementation on any other touch device with the feature is anywhere near as good IMO). You're going to turn around and tell all of those users "Grats on mastering the iPod Touch! Now we have this new device and you'll have to learn to use it all over again!" - this ain't what Apple does. Apple turns around and says "Grats, you know how to use the iPod Touch! Guess what! We've got this really cool iPad, and it does all these cool things, and has a 10 inch screen, and it works exactly the same way! If you can use an iPod, you can use this too!"

No USB/HDMI/Otherports - Apple could give a fuck about what amount to 'legacy ports' to them. Apple has never cared about supporting 'old' peripherals if they could avoid it. Anyone else here happen to remember the wailing and gnashing of teeth at the first iMac? No floppy drive. only USB for peripherals. No Serial, no PS/2/ADB. Just USB. The iPad has WiFi, Bluetooth, 3G, and a Dock Connector for the rare occasion that you /need/ a wired hardware accessory. And the design of the device makes it clear that they intend for that to be as rare as they can damned well make it possible.
Feist

Postby Lherin on Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:20 pm

Feist, let me go over a few of the points you have made.

In regards to multi-tasking. Yes I agree that in THEORY a more robust IM/Notification system is often what's needed. The thing is, that doesn't exist right now. I'm not going to buy an iPad for what it MIGHT do IF apple puts together this system. I own an iPhone, and when I bought it, apple said "don't worry, you don't need multiple apps, you'll have push". It took 8 months from when I purchased my iPhone for push to materialize, and PUSH IS SHIT. It's total crap. Have you used it? I have and it's terrible.

So IF AND WHEN apple fixes push, and makes IM/Message Notification work properly on their platform THEN maybe I'll buy it. But I'm not going to buy one based on something it MIGHT do SOMEDAY.

Secondly. If I sit down and think, under what circumstances would I use this tablet, I can't think of one.

If I am at home, I'll use my better stuff at home. If I want to use iPhoto at home, I'll use it on my mac. If I want to watch a movie, I'll watch it on my large computer screen, or on my TV (or buy an apple TV if you really want). If I want to play video games I'll play my PS2/PS3/XBOX/PC/MAC/WHATEVER.

If I'm on the move, my iPhone covers most of what I want to do, and it fits in my pocket. The iPad is big enough to make me think twice about bringing it anywhere, and if I really need something more than my phone, that's when I need my netbook, which does way more than the iPad does. I already pay 85$ a month for data on my iPhone, I'm not going to pay another 30 dollars a month to also buy cellular access on my iPad.

I'm curious though, who do you see using this and under what circumstances?
Lherin

Postby Tedium on Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:48 pm

I think the biggest thing with their own processor is they can close down the system at a low level point. If they don't release the specific technical specs, it will make it much more difficult to open it up for "hacking." Where as if they just used a cortex or arm processor, people can simply go to their website to get the info they need.
The new snapdragon processors run at 1ghz as well, and I have no doubts that they will be on par with the A4. The Lenovo U10 or whatever it is, that has the removable screen, turning it into a tablet, and roughly the same size, runs on the snapdragon, as I believe the base part of the unit does also, though i could be wrong on the base. Doesn't the Nexus One run on something similar as well? THough that may only be 800

While it is nice that you can out of the box run all current iphone apps, most are going to have to be rewritten/changed to take advantage of the bigger screen. Primarily this affects games as simply blowing the picture up makes it look like crap. Normal apps don't necessarily have to, but they could add alot more functionality on one screen instead of multiple tabs, etc.. by re-writing so hopefully some of the more popular ones do so.
Tedium

Postby Lherin on Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:11 pm

While some cellphones do run the snapdragon at 1ghz or close to, that's not the big hurdle for cellphones. Getting a faster processor in a cellphone is easy. Getting a bigger battery in that form factor is not. Despite the battery industry touting revolutionary changes for awhile now, they haven't managed to produce a significantly more powerful battery yet.

The battery life in the iPhone is not great. But I don't blame apple, pretty much all the smart phones have low battery life. There is the advantage with other phones at being able to purchase and charge a second battery though. Many a time I have to stop using my iPhone before I get home because the battery is in the red and I'm worried it won't make it.
Lherin

Postby Tedium on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:02 pm

I agree on that one. Battery innovation has been quite slow compared to everything else around it.
Tedium

Postby Javan on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:48 pm

Give this a read boys.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ ... h_499_iPad

Apple makes $208 on each $499 iPad
Profits jump to $446 on top-end $829 model, analyst estimates
Javan

Postby Tedium on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:56 pm

I'd like to know how exactly he knows specifics of hardware costs that no one knows exactly what's in it. Sure the screen is likely the most expensive, since it is what an IPS (I think) screen, which is better than your typical screens. Designed more for better viewing from angles with no color shift. It wouldn't surprise me if those numbers are accurate, just seems a bit early to know.
Then the R&D that went into the processor chip would of course add to the cost some, and we all know Apple likes to price their products cheap!
Tedium

Postby Hardik23Moris on Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:44 pm

Tedium wrote:Cool concept but they need a lot more features for it to be worthwhile.
If they had added a front facing camera, that may have been enough for me to get one. It also needs to support bluetooth A2DP, and I think it really needed to have some IR capabilities to tie it into home automation systems or even use it as a glorified remote for your living room.
Needs to be able to run background applications, no pandora while doing other stuff is a big problem, though that can easily be added in a software update since it's just running iphone OS.
It will have 3g, and technically it's unlocked, but I don't know if it supports Tmobiles frequencies or just at&t's. If it were to support bluetooth (and it might since it does for keyboards and such), you could in theory use this for skype for video calls with a headsets. It does have a built in mic so you could do audio calls via skype as is, but no video obviously.

It's also a 4:3 ratio, and it will only output in standard def, so no hi-def output that I'm aware of.

What is the best headset?
Hardik23Moris

Previous

Return to Whatever