the good movie thread

The forum for posting pictures of cats with subtitles and other internet inanities.

the good movie thread

Postby Michael on Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:12 pm

this forum needs one.

My name is Michael and I have an addiction. No matter what I do I can't stop watching tv. Please help me by giving me something good to watch.
Michael

Re: the good movie thread

Postby Purplemonger on Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:20 pm

Mike, check out this new mmo.

Purplemonger

Postby Cactipete on Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:31 pm

Go see "Tokyo Gore Police". It's on Netflix instawatch.
Cactipete

Postby Michael on Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:38 pm

Tokyo Gore Police (2008)
Tôkyô zankoku keisatsu
Tokyo Gore Police
Add to DVD QueuePlay on computerAdd to Instant Queue
Average of raters like you: 1.5 stars
Michael

Postby Feist on Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:09 pm

I've recommended Fear of a Black Hat to several people since joining MW, being consistently surprised that people have not heard of it.

Basically, Fear of a Black Hat : Early 90's Gangsta Rap :: Spinal Tap : Late 70's/Early 80's Heavy Metal.

And it's also fucking hilarious.

The Butt.... is like society, see?
Feist

Postby Sammson on Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:17 pm

Movies I have seen recently and short reviews:

The Talented Mr. Ripley:

Powerful film with an engaging story. While I'm not a Gwenyth Paltrow fan, her performance in this as Marge is rather tasteful, really filling the role and bringing it to life. Jude Law and Phillip Seymour Hoffman are excellent in this as in most of their films; a well-deserved Oscar nom for Jude Law.

But the real enjoyment of the film is Matt Damon's Tom Ripley. If you've enjoyed Good Will Hunting, The Departed, or any of the Bourne titles, you will surely not be disappointed; in fact, you will probably be blown away. The way he transitions from one character to another - the premise of the story - so subtly, yet so perfectly, is simply stunning.

The writing and set direction both had well-deserved Oscar nominations, as well. The story is as cool as the other side of the pillow, with plenty of twists and developments that keep you guessing and never get droll. Also, 1950's Europe never looked so beautiful.

If you haven't seen it, I'd highly highly recommend it. It's been on TV a lot lately (cannot recall the station), so catch it when you can.

Sorry, Mike. You've probably already seen this.

Taxi Driver:

So I got all excited when this memorable film made its way into the "View Full Movie" section of IMDB (it was hosted on a site like Hulu). I freed up two hours out of my schedule - a.k.a. sleep - and fired this up.

Bleh.

That's about what I felt after watching it. Maybe I went into this the wrong way:

I'm a huge Jodie Foster fan, and I think she is so incredibly talented that almost every movie she does is worth carving time out of one's schedule for (Nell, Contact, Silence of the Lambs, The Accused, stop me whenever...). So I was giddy going in to this because she's all young and stuff and received her first nomination at age fourteen for playing a hooker at age twelve - gdamn.

Robert De Niro is one of the finest actors in the modern film era. Awakenings is in my top ten favorite films. Not to mention The Deer Hunter, which is such a groundbreaking work of cinematic art and made only a few years after Taxi Driver. So it's possible I might have made false assumptions that De Niro would be as good in this as he was in TDH.

Martin Scorsese, who has done a myriad of fantastic films, I figured would bedazzle me with his unique style of filmmaking.

Not so much. Scorsese's direction was somewhat questionable at times, especially during certain shots like panning the camera away from Travis Bickle (De Niro) to have us stare down a hallway that leads to traffic for about fifteen seconds. Jodie Foster doesn't really come in to the movie until about an hour and twenty minutes have passed. And De Niro is arguably bland when compared to his other works, even the ones in adjacent years.

When the film opened with a speech (i.e. the ramblings of a lunatic with probable PTSD), I was, of course, stoked, and I listened, popcorn in hand, for what I thought would be something like the opening to Michael Clayton, where Tom Wilkinson's character Arthur rants about his "new birth" with such juicy descriptors as "amniotic fluid." No dice. The speech was too casual and too simple for my tastes.

I suppose another thing that took me out of the movie was my interest to discover the tie-in to Mark David Chapman, which is somewhat unfair. (For those who don't know, Chapman shot John Lennon to "further the reading of J.D. Salinger's Catcher in the Rye," and he wrote Jodie Foster letters because, like Travis Bickle, he wanted to save her.) I did enjoy the scenes where Bickle is experimenting with ways to attach weapons to his body, but shaving his head and (SPOILER) going after the politician felt contrived to me. For a two-hour film, I thought the devolution of his character into pseudo-mania would have been more re-enforced, particularly with excellent direction and more poetic soliloquies.

In the end, the film is approaching its 35th birthday, so I guess I can cut it some slack, as the techniques of filmmaking and the socially tasteful qualities of films have changed drastically.

If you're a fan of Foster, De Niro, or Scorsese, you probably will not be disappointed. If you're fan of intricate writing and a redeeming replay value, you should still see the film for its impact on Hollywood ("Are you talking to me?") and establishment of major actors, but don't expect much more than that - a history lesson.

All I have time for at the moment. I did manage to watch the first three Alien movies and thought they were awesometastic. I also saw The Shining for the first time in ten years - it still creeps the hell out of me...or maybe that's just Shelley Duvall's facial structure...damn that is one ugly woman.

Cheers.
Sammson

Postby Michael on Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:29 pm

I actually have not seen the talented mr. ripley. My mom wanted to see it and she and I are polar opposites in movie taste so I tried to stay away from it.

I have seen Taxi Driver though. It was like hank hill discovering propane. If you like taxi driver you might

MIGHT

like observe and report. LOL MY GRANDPA'S AN EXTRA IN THAT MOVIE
Michael

Postby Sammson on Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:04 am

Michael wrote:It was like hank hill discovering propane.

lol
Sammson

Postby Sammson on Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:04 am

I think you will like Ripley, Mike. We have movie tastes along the same lines.
Sammson

Postby Malrik on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:22 am

Sammson wrote:I think you will like Ripley, Mike. We have movie tastes along the same lines.

Except you don't like 300.
Malrik

Postby Benihime on Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:49 pm

"Riding the Wave is Skeith, the Shadow of Death, to drown all that stands."
-Epitaph of Twilight
Benihime

Postby Malrik on Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:05 pm

Benihime wrote:Cant wait to see this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcBNHZEiX0g

With that wack ass rock music I'd have to say that is one of the gayest trailers I've ever seen.
Malrik

Postby Michael on Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:33 pm

I think it looks good. Or, should I say, I'm happy to see that it looks like a scene-for-scene remake, instead of going back and ruining what was a good movie.
Michael

Postby Sammson on Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:15 pm

Movies I've seen lately:

Ali

Absolutely brilliant movie. By far the best biopic I've ever seen - and I've seen many. It ranks with the likes of Gorillas in the Mist, Ghandi, and Malcom X in the category. It's three hour runtime breezes by; you're honestly craving more when it does finally end.

Smith's embodiment of Ali is spot-on, deserving an Oscar nomination, if not a win. He really grasped Ali's delivery, where his sentences taper off into this strange monotony.

John Voight as the famous Howard Cosell was a real treat to watch. Voight underwent intense makeup to conform to the facial structure of Cosell. Jamie Foxx also delivers a fine supporting performance as Ali's broken trainer.

To that, the casting in this film is definitely one of its strengths, especially for a film that has to pull off bringing in everyone that ever meant anything to Muhammad Ali - the wife; the whole boxing ensemble with Jeffrey Wright as Howard Binghman, Jamie Foxx as Drew Brown, and Ron Silver as Angelo Dundee, Ali's cornerman; the opponents Ali faced, like Joe Frasier, Jerry Quarry, and of course George Foreman; Howard Cosell; Malcom X; Don King, whose portrayal is so perfect and hilarious, I find myself turning up the volume during his scenes just to laugh at his ridiculous punchlines:

It's Moses in reverse. Don't let my people go. Keep em right the fuck here, if you pardon my Swahili. He he he...

With Michael Mann running the show, the film was destined for greatness before a single reel was loaded. As usual, his screen direction and camerawork are top-notch, which, in tandem with the precision and greatness of this film, begs the question why the film and its creation did not merit any Oscar om nom noms.

The film also has such a soulful, breath-taking score, created by the film musician masters Lisa Gerrard and Pieter Bourke (Gladiator,The Insider, Black Hawk Down). There are a few scenes, particularly in Zaire, driven by this beautiful, unsettling music and Smith's performance, that as stand-alones make better cinema than most feature-length movies that fly by at the box office.

The TLDR is surely: Watch when you have time. If you don't have time, make time. And be amazed.

Other movies I've seen lately:

A Civil Action: The male precursor to Erin Brokovich, the film spends an hour making a good movie, and then spends the other hour boring you to tears. Not worth it, even for Robert Duvall's fun performance.

The Accused: I'd already seen it, but it had been a while, so I gave it another look. I think it was better even the second time around. Jodie Foster is among the finest actresses of our time. The picture itself is decent, but not top quality. Foster's performance, however, is.
Sammson

Postby Michael on Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:16 pm

I, too, saw ali. I didn't much care for it. I think it droned on for far too long, had too many scenes that dragged out and added nothing to the movie. Cinderella man was like 40 asscracks better than ali, and I don't even like renee zellweger
Michael

Postby Michael on Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:20 pm

I watched downfall recently, that was a pretty good movie. It was long but the actor that played hitler was amazing, and just watching it felt like a treat. You actually cared about the people in the movie, even sympathized with hitler in parts. It's worth watching.
Michael

Postby Cactipete on Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:40 pm

Michael wrote:I, too, saw ali. I didn't much care for it. I think it droned on for far too long, had too many scenes that dragged out and added nothing to the movie. Cinderella man was like 40 asscracks better than ali, and I don't even like renee zellweger

^

I thought Ali was boring and gay. I'll never watch that movie again for as long as I live.

Want a good biopic? Watch "Blow".
Cactipete

Postby Malrik on Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:45 pm

Sam, whenever I overhear pretentious movie jagoffs like you in the city, I want to use your bloody limbs to club baby seals.

Mike gave a quick, concise review of what he didn't like about Ali without writing a novel about it. Watch and learn.
Malrik

Postby Dpsonroids on Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:00 pm

Ali sucked. I watched the first 60 minutes of it on HBO and then shut it off, which I ussually never do no matter how rancid the movie is.

300 4 lyfe
Dpsonroids
Guild Master

Postby Michael on Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:43 pm

Blow was good too. But the all time bio-pic that all movies are judged off of is Goodfellas.
Michael

Next

Return to Whatever