The Rise and Rise of Midwinter

The forum for posting pictures of cats with subtitles and other internet inanities.

Re: The Rise and Rise of Midwinter: 5 Years in the Making

Postby Vexcid on Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:50 am

Merry Christmas Everyone!

It has been too long since ive reconnected with the people of Mystic Bond and Midwinter, it makes me happy
to see so many people I recognize still around and active in the forums (and some still playing!) but also makes me sad I havent spent the time to keep in touch with my favorite people in the world.

Most of you actually dont know me and thats ok, there really isnt much to know. While some have said I was
one of the founding members of Midwinter, I am far from deserving of that title as most knew at the time (pre-BC)
that I would be leaving and due to RL commitments I had to sacrifice WoW and all gaming in its entirety for 2 years.
I merely shared an idea with other individuals that had the desire to construct a positive group of people that could
master the game in a relaxed but progression minded environment. During my time away it was extremely hard for me as this guild and its people were a great attachment that I couldnt let go. I remember constantly checking the forums and wowprogress anytime I was around the internet and being completely astounded by the monster that this guild has become.

When I returned to WoW during WotLK the guild was already above the level of competitiveness than I had ever experienced in my gaming career. This made me all the more excited to want to raid and the officers at the time were generous enough to slot me in as a ret/holy paladin. While I had never played a paladin I didnt really care.
I told Gwystyl I was willing to play and learn any class that was currently needed. 2 years away from WoW since vanilla so much had changed anyhow I only wanted the opportunity to raid.

I remember my first experience with Midwinter since coming back was Naxx 10/25. Those immortal/undying runs were some of the most nerve wracking moments in my WoW history as I was being slotted to get gear in naxx while everyone was already decked out. Pretty lucky I didnt ruin the achiement for everyone.

Ulduar was hands down the most enjoyable and rewarding experience I ever experienced any game. There was so many things to contribute why this period was so epic. The main thing was the motivation of every single member to be the best and we had a damn good raid leader / guild council at the time to push everyone to their potential. I will never forget our rival Alpha during that patch and the feeling we all had when we surpassed them in progression to take the position of #1 ranked guild on the server. After Alpha couldnt obtain that position back they ended up transfering servers later on. It was such a great feeling and I thank Alpha for all the taunting and cockiness when they were first place. It only made it feel that much better when we pulled ahead.

Gynas/Varilux - I hope you guys still lurk the forums and are reading this. We really need to reconnect sometime.. even if I need to drive my ass up to Idaho to do it (I will do it!). You two were one of the first I met online that I call friends. It was way back even before Mystic Bond in a guild called Vagabond. We had such great times in vanilla WoW and my favorite was those weekends I came up to Idaho and we stayed up playing WoW, camping world dragons etc. until we were passing out at our keyboards. Good times!

Theshadow - Thanks for the kind words my friend. Im glad we have been able to stay in contact through Gchat and its was great fun playing SWTOR and D3 with you even though the quality for both games eventually started to lack as we maxed our characters. You have always been a great person to be around and ive always been impressed by your ability to be a badass at whatever class/role your playing in any game we have played. I remember when you picked up DK tanking for the first time during Naxx/Ulduar and how well you impressed the members with your survivability (Sarth 10 anyone?). Keep in touch until the next big game comes out so we can be disappointed again and talk about how much better the days were raiding with Mystic Bond and Midwinter.

Jerrycakes - The Prot Pally since day one! Im not quite sure how you felt when we had conviced all the great Mystic Bond players to transfer to Ysera for something bigger and then to have me turn around and say..alright,
good luck guys im out! No doubt it took alot of effort on your part to take over and get things going. I am glad we were able to raid together in naxx for the short time that we did. I remember you wiping the floor with me in dps as prot when I was playing ret. Your dps as prot during that time was crazy good and made me feel even more of a scrub than I already did.

Klub - Oh man, I dont even remember the last time we raided together. I believe you had left WoW before I came back so my only memories was when you were playing Skoomp. I remember how fast you leveled your lock because how excited you were to raid, even though you had quite a bit of other things going for you IRL, you were giving up sleep so you can raid. Thats dedication!

Molark - I was so happy to see at least a couple original Mystic Bond members still lurking the forums. I miss the days back in vanilla when we were all learning to master our characters. I remember when you would spam heal me in IF with different spell ranks and procs to produce different numbers. I remember those times in BWL when you and Nocorik would carry all the healing. Even if other healers would die I wouldnt even sweat it until seeing either you or Nocorik go down.

Gwystyl - It takes quite a bit to achieve the level of respect I have for Gwystyl. Not just because he is extremely talented at raiding and theorycrafting. It was his ability to take those talents and effectively use them at a leadership level to maximize the potential of every raider. I was seriously impressed how Gwystyl would spend time with each individual if they were lacking in holding their weight of the team. Most other raid leaders would just say your deepz sucks and it better improve by next raid or your getting sat. One of the greatest suggestions Gwystyl ever gave me to improve my dps as ret was to purchase a Belkin n52 speedpad. He was right on the money because this device made a whole world of difference in mapping my abilities to be more comfortable and so I can have more control over my character. Since then I cant play hardly any games without my speedpad. Best money ever spent on a gaming device. <3

Gondlem - I dont know if you remember when we did 2v2 arenas during ulduar. Ret was somewhat powerful in pvp at the time and you were playing enhancement shaman. Our strat was to use our decked out PVE gear and blow all our CDs including lust etc to take down 1 person within a few secs of the battle. I never laughed my ass off so hard every time we achieved that. We were usually pretty screwed if they somehow survived but it was great fun overall.

Fusoya - How can anyone forget Fusoya? When I think of Midwinter I think of a picture of all the people I know and Fusoya in the middle shouting "I AM FUSOYAAAA!". I will also never forget the Wheeled Warriors guild theme song
we played so often in Ulduar. Never got old! Especially for Flame Leviathan. LMAO

I miss all of you and the great times we had! Even to this day when new content comes out ill be constantly checking wowprogress and it is truely amazing how long this guild has been going and how it continues to get stronger and
stronger.

I regret leaving WoW after Ulduar when I did. I had plans to move away from home and collaborate with some long lasting friends in California to go into film school. Worst decision of my life as some drama stirred up and things
got pretty heated up after awhile. After moving on I returned back to my gaming life while working full time but felt ashamed for giving up what I truely enjoyed for a foolish opportunity that I should have forseen would fail eventually in the given situation.

Anyhow, life drama aside. Things have settled down for me as of lately since starting school back up and ive picked up WoW again to balance out the stresses of college. Ive moved my pally to Sargeras in hopes of catching up with old friends and to see those sexy server first messages. Hope to see some of you in game!
Vexcid

Postby Cactipete on Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:22 pm

Wheres my shout out man?
Cactipete

Postby gwystyl on Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:55 pm

n52 Speedpad 4LYFE!

Good to see you still lurking, Vexcid. I posted the other day encouraging players and retired alumni to stay in touch and help one another. This is a fantastic group of exceptional people. There's no reason the Midwinter network needs to end when the raiding ends.

Merry Christmas to all!
gwystyl

Postby Ryethe on Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:00 pm

gwystyl wrote:n52 Speedpad 4LYFE!

Good to see you still lurking, Vexcid. I posted the other day encouraging players and retired alumni to stay in touch and help one another. This is a fantastic group of exceptional people. There's no reason the Midwinter network needs to end when the raiding ends.

Merry Christmas to all!

Not to derail the thread but you piqued my interest with the n52. I looked it up and I can't figure out what makes it better than a good keyboard. What makes it so good?
Ryethe
Councilor

Postby gwystyl on Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:32 pm

Ryethe wrote:Not to derail the thread but you piqued my interest with the n52. I looked it up and I can't figure out what makes it better than a good keyboard. What makes it so good?

Gamepads are superior because they basically let you do more with less. The d-pad on the gamepad proxies for WASD, so now instead of having 4 fingers multi-tasking b/w hitting keybinds and motion, you assign your otherwise-idle thumb to that task and let your 4 fingers dedicate to mapped keybinds. Setting up the n52 can easily give you 39 binds that you trigger with either 1 keystroke or using a modifier+keystroke, making it very fast and removing the need for finger contortion.

The reason I prefer the n52 to the others is ergonomics. You may actually get more features from the others but the Logitech G13, as an example, is an atrocity. Logitech should be tried in the Hague for crimes against humanity for the design and layout of that POS.
gwystyl

Postby Vexcid on Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:24 pm

Cactipete wrote:Wheres my shout out man?

Argh!!

I actually missed quite a few people looking back at Gwystyls list :(

I promise I <3 you all! I was watching some of your streams in early MOP when you all were struggling on Imperial Vizier. That must have been discouraging spending hours wiping all because the boss decides he doesnt want to start on the correct platform. Such bad design especially for a first encounter, I was surprised they didnt fix it earlier.

Made me /teareye listening to the same officers (Pete, Roids and Gondlem) that were around when I had the privledge to play. You guys work amazingly together and its no wonder the guild is ranked so high in MoP. /salute

gwystyl wrote:This is a fantastic group of exceptional people. There's no reason the Midwinter network needs to end when the raiding ends.

Truth spoken, good sir!
Vexcid

Postby Cakes on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:11 am

Vexcid wrote: Those immortal/undying runs were some of the most nerve wracking moments in my WoW history as I was being slotted to get gear in naxx while everyone was already decked out. Pretty lucky I didnt ruin the achiement for everyone.

Yeah, Mike, nice job on the disengage.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Napoleon Bonaparte
Cakes

Postby Michael on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:36 am

Michael

Postby Facemeetmace on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:42 pm

Cakes wrote:Yeah, Mike, nice job on the disengage.
Facemeetmace

Postby Benihime on Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:23 pm

Gladewalker wrote:Sunwell Twins corpse runs and yelling at YOU DUMB ASS MOTHER FUCKERS who would run off that god damned ledge.

And then proceeding to run off that god damned ledge.

More to come, this thread is killing me.

THIS^^^

I was waiting or ledge boss mentions on the Whore Twins in Sunwell. :)
"Riding the Wave is Skeith, the Shadow of Death, to drown all that stands."
-Epitaph of Twilight
Benihime

Postby Nidhoggr/Mathazar on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:11 am

Just taking a walk down memory lane when I was in Midwinter during the pre-Muru nerf, 4.0 I think it was. Crazy you guys are still around, kind of miss the game/guild but you guys always had a real hard raiding time I barely could make.

Where is the Sacred/Fatal references!
Nidhoggr/Mathazar

Postby Deadboldt on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:40 am

Nidhoggr/Mathazar wrote:Just taking a walk down memory lane when I was in Midwinter during the pre-Muru nerf, 4.0 I think it was. Crazy you guys are still around, kind of miss the game/guild but you guys always had a real hard raiding time I barely could make.

Where is the Sacred/Fatal references!

http://www.mwguild.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3563&hilit=sacred
Deadboldt

Postby Ophidian on Mon May 20, 2013 12:22 pm

Damn it's been a while thinking about this guild and hearing about some of the old guys I used to raid with. I joined MW about a quarter way into BC. But before that, Gwystyl, myself and a few others were in a guild called Depredation. Things didn't pan out so well for us, and I remember Gwystyl was considering transferring off the server in search for a more fulfilling raiding experience. Our GM at the time, Mike, talked him out of it, and talks were soon under way that led to Depredation being absorbed into MW.

It seemed like things took off for us newly adopted players from Depredation, as we found a new home where the others guys in Midwinter were quality players, and were a hell of a lot of fun to hang around with. We were extremely optimistic, and I had the pleasure to play with Cactipete, Molark, Jerrycakes, Varilux, and many more. These were the best years that I played WoW. We pushed on through more of the raiding content Blizzard threw at us. I recall the countless hours spent wiping on Kael'thas and the immense satisfaction and joy of defeating him. It was a team effort, and all the hard work payed off. After arena season 1 started, I also remember teaming up with Cactipete and Molark in 3s and just killing much of the competition. That was a hell of a lot of fun, too.

Shortly after our progress in Black Temple, I found I had less time to devote to raiding as I needed to focus more of my time on school and other obligations. I bowed out from raiding with the guild, but continued to monitor the success of Midwinter after I transferred off the server in search of a guild that jived better with my personal schedule. I continued playing WoW, but in a more casual environment. I often find myself looking back to that one year when I belonged to MW and how much fun I had with everyone.

I found this thread and felt very nostalgic and wanting to share my experience with Midwinter. Many of the people I played with there are long since gone from the game, but others remain that carry the banner and strive to be the best they can. Thanks for including me at the time, and keep up the hard work.
Ophidian

Postby gwystyl on Mon May 20, 2013 1:49 pm

You left raiding for the most stressful job out there. How is air traffic control going?
gwystyl

Postby Ophidian on Mon May 20, 2013 2:39 pm

gwystyl wrote:You left raiding for the most stressful job out there. How is air traffic control going?

It's great! I enjoy it very much :D I work in the tower at DFW Airport. I've been certified here for four years, built a house in Fort Worth within the last year and am enjoying married life. My wife works as a prosecutor, so we both try to stay busy with our off schedules.

How the hell are you Gwystyl? Last we spoke, you mentioned you were getting married. How's life? Still working for Verizon?
Ophidian

Postby gwystyl on Mon May 20, 2013 2:58 pm

Still with VZ. I had to go to DFW a few years back. When I asked someone who was from there to describe it to me, he said "picture the moon. Now put strip malls everywhere." That was... accurate.
:P

Life is good, but I'm a physical wreck combatting a seemingly endless streak of serious injury. That said, not only am I married but my son turned 1 last Thursday.
:D

gwystyl

Postby Kras on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:28 am

gwystyl wrote:Still with VZ. I had to go to DFW a few years back. When I asked someone who was from there to describe it to me, he said "picture the moon. Now put strip malls everywhere." That was... accurate.
:P

Life is good, but I'm a physical wreck combatting a seemingly endless streak of serious injury. That said, not only am I married but my son turned 1 last Thursday.
:D

I was trying so hard not to take that first picture and photoshop warglaives on his back
Kras

Postby gwystyl on Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:28 am

I was going to make child-sized warglaives and place them at his "Dol Ja Bi." Koreans celebrate children's 1st birthdays by having a big gathering where we array things in front of the child to see what they pick. That forecasts their future. The traditional 3 items are:
Thread (or rice) for long life
Money for wealth
Scholar's brush for academia

2 less common items, yet still traditional are:
Medallion with horses for government service
Bow and arrow for leadership / forthrightness / morality

I added a soccer ball (who knows, he could be the next Messi). I was going to have small glaives made instead of the bow and arrow but Sunnie veto'd.
:(

My son chose the scholar's brush in the end.
gwystyl

Postby Michael on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:03 am

gwystyl wrote:I was going to make child-sized warglaives and place them at his "Dol Ja Bi." Koreans celebrate children's 1st birthdays by having a big gathering where we array things in front of the child to see what they pick. That forecasts their future. The traditional 3 items are:
Money for wealth

I added a soccer ball (who knows, he could be the next Messi). I was going to have small glaives made instead of the bow and arrow but Sunnie veto'd.

So he's gonna did young?
Michael

Postby Feist on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Michael wrote:
gwystyl wrote:I was going to make child-sized warglaives and place them at his "Dol Ja Bi." Koreans celebrate children's 1st birthdays by having a big gathering where we array things in front of the child to see what they pick. That forecasts their future. The traditional 3 items are:
Money for wealth

So he's gonna did young?

And poor!
Feist

PreviousNext

Return to Whatever