The Rise and Rise of Midwinter

The forum for posting pictures of cats with subtitles and other internet inanities.

The Rise and Rise of Midwinter: 5 Years in the Making

Postby Xonk on Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:55 pm

Vividly remember mors going "this bitch is fucking dead" when he got mind controlled under 20% on Nef. All while Iks has elevator music in the background waiting to reconnect to the game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Xonk

Re: The Rise and Rise of Midwinter: 5 Years in the Making

Postby Googs on Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:19 pm

Before I came to Ysera I was a bit of a nomad. Tried a couple different guilds and servers out (one included an all Chinese guild, god that was awful). I joined a guild called Citadel and while I wasn't big on weekend raiding, I gave it a shot.

Luck. Dumb, stupid, fantastic, Irish luck. That's the only reason I can claim that I was a part of this amazing guild. Honestly, I had no business being accepted as a trial. MW was working on twins in Sunwell and my current guild hadn't even killed Bloodboil in BT. My gear was awful. I'm talking raiding in season 2 boots awful. I didn't even know where Sunwell was, I had to ask the internet for directions because I didn't want to embarrass myself. If I remember right, Malrik was suppose to be leaving for the military and they were hard up for another holy pally, this is when Pete messaged me on the streets of IF and forever changed my life in this game.

Thanks Pete, I'm not sure I ever said it to you, but a sincere thank you for the opportunity.

I quickly learned that this guild was unlike anything I had ever seen. The quality of the people and the players were second to none. Like all of us reading this, I knew I found my WoW home.

I remember laughing until I hurt at countless Pete/Jerry/Gondlem fights on vent. Classic.

Fu, those binds always put a smile on my face. And you're one crazy SOB.

Purple, I appreciate the love in your post man. I knew we needed you as soon as Roids mentioned your name and what you were doing in PvP. I even remember replying to a terrible holy pally app the response "WTB Purplemonger app." You are the man and that post was awesome.

Belgrace I have a broken headset and the record for saying "God damn fucking mages!" because of Immortal. :lol: Love you man

One converstaion that I will always remember was...

Kalcegos kill

Butterz: I got Artika's pants to drop!!!
Artika squeals with excitment
Googs: Grats Butterz, first time you got a girls pants to drop and she was excited about it.

Hope you are doing well Butterz :D

Gwys Malrik Roids Jerry and all the rest I had a chance to play with, Thank you all for making this more than a just a game. And to the ones I didn't have a chance to play with, thank you for making this guild what it is today and keep on rocking.

I so wanted to be a part of the LK kill but it wasn't in the cards for me. Leaving was one of the hardest things I have had to do, and no bullshit, it was for a girl. A girl that I fell head over heels in love with, married, and as of 6/5/12 have a beautiful daughter with. Safe to say I made the right decision.

I missed the hell out of raiding at first, but the longer I spent from the game the less I missed it. Still, no amount of time can make me forget the people that make this guild what it is. I am so damn proud of you guys for how the guild has progressed and I can't wait to see your names at the top of the US rankings in MoP.

Nothing but love,

Googs

PS Gwys, can I be on the list of cool people please?
Googs: Gwystyl, quit wasting my symbols.
Gwystyl: Quit letting me die in one hit.
Googs

Postby Morsexier on Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:59 pm

Xonk wrote:Vividly remember mors going "this bitch is fucking dead" when he got mind controlled under 20% on Nef. All while Iks has elevator music in the background waiting to reconnect to the game

Feel free to turn this thread into Mors appreciation day.
Morsexier

Postby Purplemonger on Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:14 pm

Morsexier wrote:
Xonk wrote:Vividly remember mors going "this bitch is fucking dead" when he got mind controlled under 20% on Nef. All while Iks has elevator music in the background waiting to reconnect to the game

The cadence would be way off if we did that.
Purplemonger

Postby gwystyl on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:13 pm

Googs, you're another person I'm sure was on the list, but when I trimmed it for dups in excel, I lost you!

<3

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
gwystyl

Postby Morsexier on Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:52 am

Purplemonger wrote:
Morsexier wrote:

The cadence would be way off if we did that.

Cadence is an old, old wooden ship.
Morsexier

Postby Lherin on Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:55 pm

Ok, so many of you seem to have freakishly good memories. Mine doesn't work like that, so I'll have to skim over some things I don't remember.

I initially created lherin the druid on azjol-nerub. Played resto all the way to level cap. Got in with a raiding guild called the Agents of the Kirin Tor (I didn't name the guild). Did fairly hardcore raiding as resto for quite a long while as feral and balance were not viable.

About the time BWL introduced some awesome drops and Temple of Ahn'Qiraj completed things, my guild was allowing me to offtank several fights because bear threat was actually pretty damn good. After finally killing C'thun, I decided to retire my character for awhile.

Then a friend at work was getting into wow and wanted to start a small little guild. He suckered me, "Come over to Ysera, there's lots of quebecers there, we'll form a french canadian guild". And so we did. A very small guild, and we would have fun raiding Zul'Gurub. After a bit, that whole idea kinda went south, and I found myself wanting to raid seriously again.

I don't actually remember how I joined MW, someone else probably does. BC was amongst my favorite time in the guild, and in the game. I liked the fact that we did things that most others considered inefficient, and we still kicked ass. Jerry as a tankadin, myself going balance, occasionally still tanking from time to time. Fun stuff. We made shit work, and we did so as a team. Other than Gwystyl whining and bitching about not getting his DST in 314159265359 drops... ;)

I think one of my other proudest moments in the guild has got to be the day we split up into 10 mans to practice Algalon on 10 man. I don't know what the other folks in our 10 man were thinking, but I spoke with Gwystyl on many an occasion since, and I know his feelings were similar. I was thinking, "Oh great... this is not the best of combinations here". Really, we had myself back in my tanking gear, which was middle of the line stuff at the time, I figured it was good for the practice, but I didn't think we were in any danger of getting Algalon before the other 10-mans... though we did get one the better healers in the guild ;)

I was shocked, amazed, and all too proud when we downed 10 man Algalon before everyone else. Once again, we took a less than great combo, and totally kicked ass.

Other than one or two misunderstandings over the years, I had a great great time with this guild, and I'm glad to see that it's still going strong as ever today.

Cheers!
(I need to learn how to use commas properly)
Lherin

Postby gwystyl on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:43 pm

You were with me in Depredation and joined MW in the merger. You and Meddicare were our French Connection.

I loved your patient, calm way of discussing situations, even when I knew you were pissed internally. OK, fine, I'll be honest. I just loved you for your Improved Faerie Fire. We were way ahead of the curve using boomkins and I remember the pm's / tells I'd get from people spotting you in our screenshots really wondering if we raided with a moonkin or not. I always said they'd have to pull you from my cold, dead hands.

That Algalon 10 kill was great not only because we had a bad comp, but because our two tanks were both bears. Those were definitely the least desirable tanking class for that fight. To make matters worse, yours was second-class off-spec tanking gear. I guess in retrospect it didn't matter much since he could still roflgib a well geared tank and there's not really anything you could do about it. Still, you and Xandrellas were definitely the x-factors that made that kill a reality.

In a lot of ways that kill embodied the core spirit of MW. We got it done and had a great time doing it, despite any hurdles. The guild has since aged like fine wine. Each individual is self-sufficient, on top of his/her theorycraft and also has that "get it done" attitude without the garbage that comes with it in so many other high-class raid teams.
gwystyl

Postby Fusoya on Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:30 am

"WHAT COLOR IS AZURE?"
ImageImageImage
Fusoya

Postby Andre on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:31 am

LET'S TALK ABOUT BOSS MOUNTS
Andre

Postby Shadowjin on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:22 pm

Best guild ever. Ulduar is still my favorite raid instance ever because I got to progress through it with Midwinter. It may not be much to a lot of people but seeing server first spam not only once but twice during that tier was pure joy.
Shiri
Shadowjin

Postby Gladewalker on Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:05 am

Sunwell Twins corpse runs and yelling at YOU DUMB ASS MOTHER FUCKERS who would run off that god damned ledge.

And then proceeding to run off that god damned ledge.

More to come, this thread is killing me.
Gladewalker

Postby Purplemonger on Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:42 am

Gladewalker wrote:Sunwell Twins corpse runs and yelling at YOU DUMB ASS MOTHER FUCKERS who would run off that god damned ledge.

And then proceeding to run off that god damned ledge.

More to come, this thread is killing me.

Never forget.
Purplemonger

Postby Magni on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:16 am

My only regret was not joining in the middle of winter. hehe
IN THE MOUNTAINS
Rassoodocks: I wish I was a hunter so I could disengage from this conversation
Magni

Postby Meddicare on Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:36 am

*Necro thread*

The story starts off on a terrible pvp server called aegwynn ,where a group of raiders that were in a guild called Glory played together, at the approach of TBC the entire server went batshit, guilds rose and fell by the dozen over the most absurd things. There a little band of talented players got the feeling that they're wasting their time on that cesspool of a server. Then one day a man called Mike (imperial, meddicate) convinces his buddies that the grass was much greener on the other side of the fence... At this point the little band of jolly raiders embarked on a journey to find the greenest grass out there.

Lorthak the vanilla tankadin(Matt), Medd the pvp warrior(Jay), Ophidian the doter, The mage triplets Markonium (Mark), Genzo (Ian), Yawkey (Deacon), Lucronn (Chris) and myself entered the dark portal to the realm of Ysera.

On the other side things were pretty, not getting ganked every 2 minutes when farming, enough people around to get pugs and run little instances etc.. Now we needed to recruit. This is where Depredation was born. Picked up raiders in sometimes very odd ways , like Rhamen and Mawse by trading mats to make an old school MC soul pouch. Lherin by running a couple groups in Zul'Gurub, Gladewalker and his gf by farming western plaguelands.
And of course the one you know and love Gwystyl. Then the little guild that could came up on hard times, issues with attendance and some of the skills and gear not being up to par.

Then came the hard decision, quit or merge. Mike worked out the details and we all managed to get in this happy family. Slowly the guild became more skilled, losing some of its noobishness as long as friends along the way. But progressed we did. I then became one of the main tanks of Midwinter abusing the game mechanics and min maxing stats like a pro. I'd like to think i helped the guild progress but i know i also held it back at times. Was a great run managed to tank bosses that weren't supposed to be tanked by a feral, challenged everyone to beat me on aggro and made good friends. Then after Black Temple i went casual for a bit, getting some very nice invites into raid content here and there, but casual wasn't for me. Stayed around till the end of WotLK but mostly as a farming bot.

Seeing that midwinter in my mind started at the merger thought it would be nice to get some info about one of the branch of the family tree :) , guessing i'm the only one of those guys that still have forum access lol.

Keep it up guys, fun times to be had and lots of great people to play with.
Meddicare

Postby Yoshiriko on Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:16 am

Cakes wrote:
Yogurt Fondue Artichoke Salami Corn on the cob pizza, courtesy of Yoshiriko.

I Miss those days with a passion, was thinking about coming back to this game for Panda's so I just had to check in on this site and see how you all were doing. Good to see your still keeping strong, thanks for mentioning me in that list Gwystyl, you were the best rogue and a great teacher. Although I fucked my position in this guild multiple times I still enjoyed everyday that I was a part of it during Burning Crusade. Hope to see some of you around...Married with kids and a masters in computer networking keeps me pretty busy, but hopefully I will get some time to talk to some of you again soon. Peace
Yosh
Yoshiriko

Postby Theshadow on Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:56 am

Holy crap is someone chopping onions in here or what?!

You guys... you all are amazing. I remember starting out as a lowly ADHD dwarf rogue that couldn't stop jumping. I remember posting to the Mystic Bond forums after I got 60 on my original character.. I wanted to raid, but I also wanted to find group of people to call friends... and I exceeded my expectations ten fold. I loved raiding with Mystic Bond, some of my fondest memories are from that era.. Stazzo (I think) being piss drunk during Onyxia giving us a full on orgasm over vent when he got a sword he had been waiting for.. How we stuck with Vael relentlessly.. even when everyone else would log off (in the days of 40mans), 10-15 of us would remain, still attempting the boss and trying to master mechanics. I remember Molark and Nocorik furiously healing during chromaggus with almost all of our raid down... I remember Jerrkcakes writing a full-fledged SCRIPT to cheese the Nef encounter, any button we would press would remove battle shout, leading to infinite threat for the tanks. I also remember all the drama with Xenia (have we figured out if it was a guy or a girl yet?), getting her thunderfury and all the guilds calling us scrubs because we geared RAR's warrior with it instead of ours (in retrospect, they were probably right, hah).. then I remember her completely killing the guild I loved from the inside-out.. and the fact that we simply had too many bad players at that moment in time. A core group of us split off and decided to transfer to ysera with the goal of creating a raiding guild whose intention was to be very progression oriented, while maintaing the relaxed/laid back atmosphere we had come to love, and Midwinter was born.

I stuck with Midwinter up to Magtheridon.. then family issues came up and I had to put WoW on the back burner.. I fondly remember having DPS races with Gwystyl on Gruul.. god loved to theorycraft with gwystyl, the guy is a genius. When Wrath of the Lich King was released I decided to roll a Death Knight (Acyclovir).. ended up back in Midwinter. I have very fond memories of this time. Death Knights were extremely good tanks at that time, and I took full advantage of it. Sarth 3D (10m) was amazing, such a well designed encounter for 10 people. I remember starting Ulduar with you guys, my first time actually tanking in a progression raid. After our first Yogg kill, I was permanently banned on that death knight for "economy exploitation" (which I don't deny.. I was abusing a massive glitch with a vendor to amass hundreds of thousands of gold at the time), completely rocked my world.. I was so invested with the guild at that time, it destroyed me. I gave up WoW, yet again, due to time constraints and family issues.

Jerry, you were a blast to play with... I remember you and Dwarf leveling and being excited about joining our raid team on Mystic Bond, haha. I remember during AQ40, a glimmer of the inner tank within.. you attempting to tank all those bugs on Frankriss (I think?) but pallies simply weren't designed for it at that time. I remember getting so goddamned mad at you during Vael... I'd be pushing INSANE numbers (because mutilate was the tits with Vael's unlimited energy buff.. brokenly good).. pretty much creaming my pants looking at the meters... all the sudden my DPS would drop to 0.. "You can't do that." "I can't do that right now" WTF??? HOW DID I GET BLESSING OF PROTECTION? Hah.. I had to go so far as to add /cancelaura Blessing of Protection to my Mutilate macro at one point... goddammit Jerry.. I remember your 1337 skills writing an addon for the entire raid team to use for nef and battleshout haha.. While we all played POKER! Oh god that Poker addon almost ruined the guild entirely.

Molark, dude! I had so much fun with you, brother. Not only playing, but simply talking and joking around. You were always at the top of your game and an awesome person as well. I remember almost coming to tears from laughter multiple times on vent.. esp when Kyal was in the picture haha.

Gwystyl, you are the a HUGE part of the reason Midwinter has come so far... I remember from the moment you joined us thinking "this guy is a genius.. and an amazing leader." I knew from the start that you'd be such a huge asset to this guild, more than I ever was... and that hunch has definitely proven truthful. You were the first person to consistently top me on damage.... and gave me damn fine competition. I loved to theorycraft with you.

Vexcid/Chapu(Steve).. well Steve was the founding member of Mystic Bond and of the first iteration of Midwinter. He has raided with MW off and on a number of times. This guy has remained my good friend to this day. I still talk to him every day, and we even jump from MMO to MMO together! He's crazy smart and was a really good raid leader during the Mystic Bond days.

Pete, you've come a long damn way. You've always been completely dedicated to this guild and it shows. You, Kras, dpsonroids, gwystyl, gondlem.. you guys are the major reason Midwinter has continued to prosper many years forward. My utmost respect goes out to ya'll, for turning this guild into something great (and of course, all the players that have come and gone) Your dedication and leadership is the glue that has kept thing entire thing together over so many years. Without any one of you, things might have turned out differently. You are the true definition of 'core', in every meaning of the word.

Fusoya... well, what can I say besides FUUUUSSSSSSSOOOOOOYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAA.. :D I love you man. You always pumped us up with lore and great speeches before a battle. You dedicated yourself to helping the guild and tended to it with a green thumb throughout the years.

And to friends that have gone long ago... Varilux (Chad) I loved this guy, he was such an awesome person to play with and simply talk to. Many many long nights in vent, simply talking and laughing.. this guy was a true friend. Kyal, the teenager... this dude was absolutely hilarious.. he'd have me in tears every single time on vent.. Plus he introduced me to Buckethead! Century, loved this girl.. even if she left very early on.. had so much fun playing with her during vanilla. Unthe the crazy mofo.. I really do think he was crazy. The insane stuff he would type that would literally make NO sense, the crazy rages he would go on... but still loved him :)

Meddicare.. the bear with the sexy accent. Really liked playing with this cat.

There's so many more people I didn't mention.. I know my play time was extremely limited compared to most, and I didn't get a chance to really get to know a lot of you.... I know that when I re-joined during Ulduar you were a well-oiled machine.. and Gondlem/Rassodocks was a huge part of that. This guy was an extremely competent raid leader and expert strategist.

Some of my fondest memories in gaming are with Mystic Bond/Midwinter.. I still look back with nostalgia at least once a month! I always keep track of your progress and to see how you all have grown just makes me so incredibly proud. You've become exactly what we intended when we formed Midwinter, to the letter. You guys are amazing, and there will always be a place in my heart for every single member. You guys are what brought this guild to where it's at today, and I have so much respect for that fact. Every time I look at WoWProgress I am just absolutely floored (but not surprised!) with your progress.. keep on doing what you're doing!

I hope you guys continue this cycle of domination well into MoP. If I do end up giving MoP a shot, I hope to see you guys out in the field, kicking ass and taking names. Queue the music Fusoya!

So, Molark, when do I get my 'consultation'? I need some Provigil (or Nuvigil!), Desoxyn, Actiq Lollis. Come on bro! Oh yeah.. and some Acyclovir :X
Theshadow

Postby Kindmime on Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:16 am

This thread gives to much nostalgia, I miss raiding a lot I have contemplated many times about coming back. I definitely have some of my fondest memories while in this guild. I am not one for long winded posts because I normally get distracted 3 sentences in.

Fuck it I have nothing to do and I am downloading it now the new expansion and going to start playing again.
Mother- "<Name> take out the trash !!"
Him- "But MOM !!"
Mother- " I said TAKE OUT THE TRASH NOW !!!"
Him- " Guys, i gotta go afk a sec, gotta take out the trash..."
Kindmime

Postby Klub on Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:04 pm

Haha, wow. It was pretty awesome to read through all these posts. Raiding with Midwinter was definitely the pinnacle of my gaming experience. I remember working 12 hours a day, raiding that night, getting almost no sleep and turning around and doing it again the next day. I would almost be face desking throughout every raid and at work but I was still there - that goes to show how much fun it was.

I'll never forget trying to best Gwystyl on the damage meters, even if I was busy twisting totems for him the whole fucking time.

Oh yeah, bear run anyone?

I hope everyone that I played with is doing well. You were all awesome people.
Klub

Postby Caro on Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:18 pm

/wave
I miss playing with some of you folks aka Kras, Pete, Fusoya and any others I may have missed
Caro

PreviousNext

Return to Whatever